Sunday 1 December 2013

Exhibitions this weekend-Corinne Day, Isabella Blow and Paul Smith

This weekend was quite busy in terms of exhibition visits but it was highly enjoyable. The first I went to  was the Corinne Day photography exhibition at Gimpel fills near Oxford Street and consisted of a series of the legendary nineties photographer's images. I really enjoyed this small but well considered display of her images and found them inspirational in terms of styling in the images and also her use of natural light. I then went over to Somerset House to catch the Isabella Blow exhibition which was a really great show in terms of the extent of what was on display and also the variety shown. I particularly enjoyed seeing garments from Alexander McQueen's graduate collection and also watching a catwalk video of one of his shows as this felt a real privilege to see such an icon's work. The last visit I made was on Sunday to the Design Museum to see the Paul Smith show which has to be one of the best exhibitions I have ever seen, along with a Peter Blake retrospective and this year's Pick Me Up graphic arts festival. This exhibition consisted of many different elements including a mock up of his old studio and also a workshop; this variety really allowed you to gain an insight into the mind of this not only highly talented designer but also the person himself.  I highly recommend all three shows I saw this weekend however the Paul Smith exhibition has to be the highlight of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment